Friday, June 16, 2006

Just Some "Southern Good Ol Boys"


I was watching The O' Reilly Factor last night. Geraldo Rivera was on the program for a segment on the legalization of marijuana for medicinal purposes, something I favor, by the way.

The subject changed to the Duke lacrosse team rape case. O'Reilly thinks the case should be dropped, and had said as much on one of his "Talking Points". Rivera countered, saying something to the effect that the use of the "N" word really upset him, and it reminded him of what Southern women had been forced to endure in times past. He clarified that to mean black Southern women.

I somehow felt compelled to e-mail a comment to O'Reilly. Since I know it will not be seen on the show, not "pithy" enough, I will post it here:

Dear Mr. O'Reilly,

Mr. Rivera alluded to the fact that when he heard the use of the "N" word he got upset. He then said that he recalled what Southern women, corrected to Southern black women, had experienced in the past. Fact #1: None of the charged Duke students are Southerners. Fact #2: Lacrosse is not exactly a Southern sport. Fact #3: Duke is a Southern university in location only. Mr. Rivera was quick to stereotype Southerners as bigots and racists when Southerners were not involved.


I think my Facts #1 - #3 are correct. I know that #3 is true. Just ask anyone in our area.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pookie Pie said...

I have no idea about Facts #1 and 2, but I can see your point on #3. Having never been to the area, I don't know for sure. However I do recall when I was applying to colleges, I did apply to Duke (I ended up going to the midwest instead), and I didn't ever think of Duke as a Southern school. Not the way I think of, say, Tulane or the University of Alabama.

June 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it's surprising that derogatory comments are made during heated altercations?

The only proof we have that racial slurs were used is by the word of Kim Roberts Pitman, the second stripper, who not only ripped off these boys, but is trying to profit from this scandal even though she knows it's false.

How reliable of a source is she? She says racial slurs were made, but being a pathological liar, how good is her word.

June 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doc,

Excellent points and true. The alledge perps are from NYC subburbs. Lacrosse is a Great Lakes/North East Sport created by the American Natives mostly Algouiqin.

I would not pay to much attention to Riveria who claims to be a lawyer, what they said should not determine if they are charged with a crime. Saying racial slurs does not prove an elements of rape or sexual assualt. The facts should be able to prove every element of the rape/sexual assualt and if the the the preponderance of the evidence does not add up to a conviction they prosecutor should drop the case. It is silly to persue a case because someone allegedly said a racial slur. It is one the easiest accusations that will either get the press or extreme group on your side crying racisim.

My experience is that Mr. Riveria needs to step down from his Ivory Tower in NYC and come to grips with reality. The north is far less intolerant and has a soft bigotry that prevades society. Interesting how the bastion of liberalism and equality, Boston, had riots to prevent blacks from being bused into white schools after the south was forcefully intergrated. For those that read his blog, yes I'm quilty of making a generalization, but the north is full of hypocrites. I lived in the North and the South and trust me the North is more hypocritical and has a soft bigotry that annoys me.

AGAIN THE DUKE CASE IS ABOUT AN A CRIME NOT RACISIM. IF YOU SAY WELL SAYING SLUR DEMONSTRATES HATE, ANYTIME HARM IS DONE TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING IT IS HATE, WE DON'T NEED TO ENTER THE MIND OF THE INDIVIDUAL TO DETERMINE IF A RACIAL THOUGHT WAS ANIMIST FOR THE ACTION, BUT JUST LOOK AT THE FACT DID THEY CAUSE HARM TO ANOTHER PERON.

Now I'm off to VA Wine Country with a very beautiful gentlemen. Ciao and sorry for the long post.

June 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, the post above was a great post! Not too sure of the name.

Geraldo does come off as a bigot. I guess he's till trying to recover from that "Al Cappone Vault" thing. That's where my opninion of him began to sway, but since then he's demonstrated that he's not into reporting the news, he's into making the news. In the Duke lacrosse case, Rivera is doing so at the expense of the Duke Lacrosse boys and every young white boy in the world. He's basically promoting hate for all white boys. Maybe he needs another hit in the face with a chair. That's what put his career on the map. Sounds like he's trying to find another broken nose, but why bother. He's no better than je$$ie Jack$on.

June 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me started on Jessie Jackson, I find it funny he charges racisim towards a company that sponsors his Rainbow Coalition. Now, I thinking of reading the book about him, "Shakedown."

June 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home