Monday, July 03, 2006

Must be Something in the Soil



As I mentioned in my last posting, one of the last things I did during my last days off was to replant the gebera daisy bed. The old ones did not come up this year.

The new ones were beautiful for about a week to ten days, rich green foliage and a rainbow of colors. New buds almost daily. Then, no more new flower buds. Next, wilting sick looking plants. I thought the intense heat was getting to them, although they love sunshine. I watered them religiously. Used some Miracle Grow, by package instructions. Applied some insecticide. All to no avail. They are dying right before my eyes. I am still trying to save them. If one or more actually die, I'll dig it up and inspect the roots for nematodes, although the yard and garden treatment plan through TruGreen/Chemlawn is supposed to take care of that problem.

If they all die, I'll have to abandon the idea of geberas in that area. I'll hate that. Any ideas or suggestions.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pookie Pie said...

My first thought was that something is urinating on them. However, you'd probably be able to smell the urine.

Has it been unusually hot out there? Gerberas don't do well here in Texas cuz it's too hot.

July 03, 2006  
Blogger Pookie Pie said...

Oh... Have you been planting only gerberas there for a while? I'm not positive about gerberas, but perhaps they've leached the soil. Sometimes, even with Miracle Grow, soil just goes bad.

July 03, 2006  
Blogger Kelicious said...

try some wandering Jew. it's a pretty ground cover and it survives any kind of weather.

July 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home