Monday, April 24, 2006

HTML from HELL

OK, OK, so I am a senior citizen. So I have a cap with "CRS" for "Can't Remember S---" (Stuff). So I have an occassional senior moment. I still consider myself pretty intelligent. However, I have met my intellectual Waterloo, HTML.

Our local church has launched a webite, hasn't everyone? Our Pediatric clinic is also launching one, but it is still a work in progress, so no link here. This is a form of advertising, I know. A part of me, being the dinosaur that I am, remains against such advertising on behalf of churches and physicians. Another part of me is intigued by the whole thing. I wanted to see how it is done. How does one create a website? How does one launch a website? How does one obtain a domain?

So I asked Roberto, the friendly webmaster of both websites, if I could learn the basics so that I could help keep the sites up to date. I explained to him that I did not have a clue, but that I did use a computer in the good old days of DOS. I even toyed with, but did not master, BASIC. "No problem," he said. I could easily learn HTML online. He referred me to a website, saying that I could progress at my own pace. My pace turned into a standstill. The website itself was overwhelming in itself. Then when he told me how to get to the HTML section, I found it just as perplexing. So many symbols for a simple entry. I'll never keep them straight.

I have Spanish to learn for our planned trip to Costa Rica. Spanish is easier than HTML. I have to complete my yearly Continuing Education Credits to keep my medical license. Medical stuff is easier to me than either Spanish or HTML. Even in a semi-retired state, I have just so much time to sit in front of a computer screen learning stuff. So unless I find "HTML for Dummies", I think my pseudo webmaster days are over.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doc,

I just wanted to say I appreciate your intellect, knowledge, and wisdom. You have an eloquent southern charm to your posts. I truly enjoy them, especially your quotes from Shakespeare. A fan.

April 24, 2006  
Blogger StratoCade said...

Don't worry Doc - I, too had problems with HTML. It's not a generational thing; rather, I think it's a matter of contorting your brain to see the logic of the code.

Enjoy the new challenge, but wait until you're finished with your Spanish lesson. You don't want to be subconsciously adding HTML to the languages you speak to patients in...

April 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home